Tenniszine - UK tennis blog.

Wednesday, January 08, 2020

10 years on, another update!

So, I'm in my late sixties, BIG birthday soon, but am still playing tennis, 2-3 times a week. Pretty decent level I think, but struggle to keep up with the youngsters or hit through the faster ones.

I still visit the Eastbourne tennis event once a year, now ATP and WTA, the London RAH for seniors although this is very much reduced to an exhibition, and occasionally Wimbledon.

I had to upgrade my fitness routines, 30 minutes on a bike trainer, 15 minutes skipping, 2-3 times a week, some deadlifts, planks, push-ups, on top of the usual light weights and band exercises. It just about lets me be competitive with the youngsters for the first hour.

I currently have an acute tennis elbow injury, something 'went' in the arm which I'm nursing, a chronic rotator cuff tendon tear which I've declined surgery for, since it's my non-serve shoulder, and a weird achilles insertion injury that is on the mend.

My current racquet of the last 5 years is the soft flex Pro Kennex Q Tour 295 16x19. It's quite low power but lots of control and I string it fairly low tension.

Here's to another decade of tennis!?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Mike Thomas said...

Hi, enjoyed your blog,
Wanted to know what happened next since 2020?
I am now also a more mature player aged 62 and writing about trying to improve my game in the UK. My blog is at lifelongtennis.com
Best wishes,
Mike Thomas

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home