Tenniszine - UK tennis blog.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Grass court practise

Plenty of practise over the last 3 days. Some hardcourt and some on grass. I'm trying to change my forehand and use less wrist so that I can cure my golfers elbow. I think I'm getting there since after playing 3 days in a row my arm feels pretty good with little pain, and that I hope is a left over from the original injury.

Despite some rain last week some of the practise was on grass. This was not grass at the club, where we only have hardcourt or the artificial grass surface (why they call it that beats me),but on public municipal grass courts. So the courts were soft and mushy because of the rain, and slightly unpredictable bounce since they're not really well maintained. Oh, and the lines were pretty difficult to see as they had either been worn out or washed out.

Slice works a treat. The ball hardly bounces anyway, and flat or slice shots skid through. Some balls didn't bounce at all, but just skidded through an inch above the surface. This was a combination of the effects of both the slice and a poor bounce. My practise partner and I both struggled with adjusting to the timing and bounce, and had a tendency to be late in getting to shots, and then overhitting. Can't say I enjoyed it really. Who was it said something like "grass is for cows"? I think I agree

Interesting discussion here but of course the court I played on was nothing like Wimbledon.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home