Aussie Open, what a start to 2006
I wish I had been there for some of it, but what a success story for tennis the Australian Open was this year. It had everything, surprise, pathos, tragedy, controversy, and best of all the 'good guys win' ending.
- Surprise: Marcos Bagdhatis unseeded gets to the final. Maybe he wasn't surprised, but we certainly were.
- Pathos: Justine Henin-Hardenne quits in the final. I could classify this as controversy too but I just feel sorry for her, in an uncomplimentary way. Here's an alternative view. So what do I know.
- Tragedy: Kim Clijsters exit and 2 months out. At least she gets the number 1 spot as consolation.
- Controversy: Tommy Haas' comments about Jim Courier and Nicolas Kiefer's actions following his throwing of the racket.
- Good guys: In this case the good guys were Amelie, Roger and Martina. Oh yes let's not forget men's doubles and the Bryan's.